I am not sure how or why this division came about, but whether or not to bend the knees during a hamstring stretch is a fiercely contested topic in the yoga community. Perhaps it is because injury at the proximal tendon (yellow part of photo below) is quite common among yoga teachers and students. When I lead biomechanics workshops for yoga teachers, I often ask who in the room has experienced, or knows someone who has experienced, proximal hamstring tendon injuries. The show of hands is staggering.
- Question Everything
- Proximal Hamstring Tendinopathy
- Loading and Stretching
- Resistance Stretching with Charlie Reid
- Why “Yoga for Sciatica” is a Stretch: A Guest Blog
- What’s the cue for that?
- To Bend or Not to Bend (the Knees in a Forward Fold*)
- Transitions in Yoga Asana: A Guest Blog
- Biomechanics ≠ Anatomy
- How Muscles (Actually) Work